Throat infection, swelling, constant clearing of throat. Abnormal blood work. Cancer symptoms?

just got a voicemail from my doctor telling me my blood work looked like it had isome infection in it. They called me in a z pack. my question is ive been going to the doc for the last few days with throat issues. Some swelling constant clearing of the throat. im a smoker and a chewing tobacco user. So my fears are cancer . If it had been cancer would they have known to say or would they treat it like an infection first
Asked On : Mon, 1 Oct 2012