Throat bugging, bumps on back, swalloing difficult, saliva orange red, pressure in throat. Whats the reason?

hi, my name is i m 16 and my throat has been bugging a lot. i have multiple bumps in the back, a couple larger than others. it hurts to swallow (mainly the left side)and further down, the last part of my throat feels as if there s a tiny pressure and it tickles. it comes and goes for that symptom and today after lunch i tasted blood and when i spit out my saliva was tinted and orange-ish red but not much and that lasted about 10 minutes. what could it be? should i be worried?
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,'

I am Dr Sriram nathan and I shall try to help you with your problem

In all probably you might have an infection in your tonsils and this would have caused your symptoms.

the bumps you see could be just enlarged papillae or follicles which are common during infections of the tonsils and pharynx or throat.

If you have had tonsillitis before then you may also have the tonsils stones but these are white in colour and usually do not bleed unless you try to remove them.

if your sputum is tinged with blood or orange in colour then you may also have an associated reflux.

None of these are to be worried. You can easily treat them and you can get back to normal in a week or so!

In any case you must do these:
1. Take warm water with a little salt and gargle

2. If you have pain then you must start a course of antibiotic like the amox-clav along with pain killers like the paracetamol. Your doctor will know about this.

3. I would usually also start an anti reflux medication like the pantoprazole for a week or two

4. Avoid anything spicy and oily for the next one week or two

5. take voice rest for your throat and do not take anything cold

You should feel better in a day or two. If not then you must consult an ENT surgeon to evaluate your tonsil and throat. Also take a throat swab and get back to me or any ENT with the report.

hope this helps

Dr Sriram Nathan