Thick mucus discharge from urethra during urination, burning at the end of urination with blood tinged urine. UTI or something serious?

I was at work last weekend and I noticed that when I urinated there would be a thick clear mucous like discharge from my urethra , I think. Yesterday I started experiencing uti like symptoms...a strong urinary sensation, burning but only at the end of urination , and at the end of urination a few drops of blood tinged urine come out too. My Dr friend has ordered me cipro to treat a uti, do you think this is something more serious that I should go to the doctor for?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012