Thick heterogeneous endometrium. Is Dilatation and curettage required?

I was just called by my doc told I had a normal US but had a 13 mm thick heterogenous endometrium ( no masses ) and needed a d & C... confused if normal why a d & c? I am 38 and no issues for most part
Asked On : Mon, 19 Mar 2012
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Endometrial hyperplasia is the abnormal thickening of the lining of the uterus due to an increase in the number of endometrial glands

Symptoms of Endometrial Hyperplasia

1.Vaginal bleeding between menstrual periods or after menopause
2.Heavy menstrual bleeding
3.Periods that last longer than usual
4.Pain during sexual intercourse
5.Amenorrhea (absence of menstrual periods)
6.Anovulatory periods

Endometrial thickness more than 11 mm is considered to be abnormal. If you are in perimenopausal (as your age) or postmenopausal period then it is very much necessary to treat.

In most cases removal of excessive uterine tissue during the diagnostic D&C is all that is needed to treat endometrial hyperplasia.You should better go for it.

Dr Santosh