Thick ear wax, slight blood. On antibiotics for ear infection and type B flu. Still in pain. Serious?

My son was diagnosed with type B flu on Friday and an ear infection that he was crying almost screaming about. He has antibiotics but not omxicylin (because he's allergic to it), yesterday (day 3 of antibiotics) I noticed his ear wax was thick - I had never seen it like it before, I got a cotton bud and took some of it out and wasn't sure if it was a mixture of blood and wax. He is still in pain and I called the pediatrician this afternoon to see if the antibiotic should have worked by now and they said it may take longer on the antibiotic he has, so to give it a day. After a bath tonight where he did get his ears wet I cleaned his ears again and was more convinced that perhaps his ear had been bleeding (although a part of me is not sure if its just wax but there is a hit or red in it), should I be worried, should I take him in or will the antibiotic fix it anyway. He says it feels like he has water in it. What do you think?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013