Thick, chunky discharge in the back of throat causing cough and gagging. Is it worrisome?

I have a thick, chuncky discharge in the back of my throat that resembles cheese. Most particles are pea sized, but sometimes they are larger. I assume it is coming from my Eustachian tubes . It happens on both sides of my throat, but primarily the left side. When they emerge, they press against the back of my tongue and make me cough and gag. I have to scratch them out with my fingernail. Is this something to worry about? I am a 56 year old female in generally good health. I do still have my tonsils, and have hayfever, but no more than average number of colds. No ear ache.
Asked On : Sat, 26 May 2012