The pupil in my right eye is now smaller than the one on the left

I got hit in the eye yesterday by a ball of plasticine hit of a plastic bottle. the pupil in my right eye is now smaller than the one on the left and it doesnt increase in size like the other one. i can see out of it and i just want to know if there could be any damage to it
Asked On : Thu, 6 May 2010
Hi Tilly,
Welcome to HCM.
I presume you got hit in the right eye. Pupils react to the intensity of light falling on it. If the light becomes brighter it will become smaller to control the amount of light passing through, on the other hand if the light incident on the pupil is much less, it will dilate to allow more light to pass through.
It is quite common to get a constricted pupil when it is subjected to blunt trauma. This will gradually settle down and it will take up it's normal function.
If there is no injury to the eye, this need not be of a great concern, but if there is injury to the eye, however minor, it needs immediate medical attention.
Wish you all the best.
General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
difference in size of pupils should be taken seriously
get an ophthalmological check up and if the local injury is not the reason of the smaller pupil neurological check up should be done yo rule out any serious problem
Go and get yourself checked immediately from an ophthalmologist to see if there is any injury or not.