Terrible back pain, lump on spine, pain from spine to knee. What could it be?

hi, after a rear impact crash a few weeks ago i have been left with terrible back pain . also, half way down my back (where the pain is) i have quite a large lump/ step out on my spine; it feels like its two bones long. i keep getting i stabbing pain with movement from near the top of my spine down to my right knee . this varies from a twinge to an hour or so long, i just have to hold still until it settles as it really is too painful to move at all. i am waiting for an MRI but i just want to know whats wrong. any ideas will be much appreciated, i am only 21 and worried that my back pain will persist through out life regards james
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012