Tender and inflamed spot on leg, ankle swelling, painful to touch, hard to walk. Blood clot?

I have had a tender, inflamed spot on lower right leg, above the ankle on the front of the calf . At first I thought it was a sprain , but the ankle moves freely without pain. The swelling varies throughout the day, sometimes the swelling envelopes the ankle area also. I have had this around 5 weeks. It is hard to walk, the area is painful to touch. I saw my internist family doctor yesterday and he was puzzled. I am scheduled for a venous ultrasound next wednesday but wonder about blood clot involvement, could this be a possibility? I cannot identify any injury when this may have occurred.
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012