Temperature of 39F, weakness, lethargy, sore legs, drowziness, chills, cause of concern ?

My 9 yr old daughter has had a temp of over 39 since yesterday 5pm. She is very weak and lethargic, complaining of sore legs. She is reluctant to walk far, and has spent most of the day in bed, sleeping for a few hours this afternoon. Her face is flushed and she is having chills on and off. She is sipping water but not eating. Should I take her to the doctors?
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012
Thanks for writing in.
It seems that your daughter has an infection which can be caused by a virus or bacteria. I would suggest that she be given Paracetamol syrup at the dose of 10 mg/kg body weight given 2-3 times daily should make her feel better.
Secondly, sponging with tepid water will also help.
However, you would need to take her to a physician so that we don't miss a bacterial infection which needs treatment with antibiotics.
Hope this helps.