Tell me the progression from a simple throat infection to renal desease

she was diagnosed w/ group A beta hemolytic streptococcal infection that led to the development of acute glomerulo nephritis How did this progress from throat infection to renal desease I have an 11 year old girl who is in end-stage renal disease . I am very confused and frightened. My husband asks the staff how this could have happened his little girl. The events leading to this situation began, and desires to learn more about how his daughter has diminished to the point of needing a kidney transplant. We we ask them how this all began, we were informed our daughter had a group A beta hemolytic streptococcal infection that led to the development of acute glomerulo-nephritis. We just would like for someone to explain/describe to us the progression from a simple throat infection to renal desease? PLease help us
Asked On : Mon, 7 Feb 2011
IT IS BECAUSEW OF THE AUTOIMMNUNE PROCEESS. BETA STREPTOCOCCI CAUSES ANTIBODIES AND THE BACTERIA CAN DAMAGE THE KIDNEY MEMBRANE CALLED BASEMENT MEMBRANE AND THEN ONGOING DAMGE BC OF THE SELF DEFENSE MECHANISM TURNED ON BY THE BACTERIA ,MORE YOU CAN READ AT THE ET BY ANTI GBM DISEASE
WISH HER HEALTH
TC
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi,
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
its due to immunological process
nephritogenic streptococci produce proteins called antigens released into the circulation. these have a particular affinity for the normal glomerulus.antibodies bind to these antigens and that cause immune complex mediated reaction .it causes activation of complement pathway which cause injury to glomerulus
take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika Thyagaraju's  Response
hello,
Streptococcal disease is caused by a bacteria known as group A beta-haemolytic streptococcus. It is a common infection that can occasionally lead to serious complications such as rheumatic fever and kidney disease. Group A streptococcus can also cause flesh eating disease but this is extremely rare. Streptococcal skin infection (Impetigo) is usually superficial but may later cause kidney disease.
Group A strep infections can spread from person to person by direct contact with saliva or nasal discharge. Most people do not get group A strep infections from casual contact with others, but a crowded environment like a dormitory, school, or an institutional setting can make it easier for the bacteria to spread
Occasionally streptococcal infection – group A can lead to serious complications such as rheumatic fever, which can affect the heart, and kidney disease (glomerulonephritis).
Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis (PSGN) is an uncommon complication of either a strep throat or a streptococcal skin infection. It is classified as a type III hypersensitivity reaction. Symptoms of PSGN develop within 10 days following a strep throat or 3 weeks following a GAS skin infection. PSGN involves inflammation of the kidney. Symptoms include pale skin, lethargy, loss of appetite, headache and dull back pain. Clinical findings may include dark-colored urine, swelling of different parts of the body (edema), and high blood pressure. Treatment of PSGN consists of supportive care.
i hope i have answered your doubt.
take care