Teenager having horrible behaviour and outburst, having a regular period cycle. Is it a Hormonal imbalance?

My Sister has a daughter who is 16 and for the past 12 months she has been absolutely horrible with her behaviour and outburst. She has had her periods for about the same time and were wondering if such a thing as hormonal inbalance may cause, irrational outburst. she gets very worked up about some small things and just goes into a rage. She will eventually calm down and then acts like nothing has happened. Her school work is also falling behind and now being in yr 12, it has become difficult. There may be more that just hormones here as well, but just thought I d ask the question. thanks
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013