Tear between bum cheeks and anus, redness, sore. Treatment?

My boyfriends 2 year old son has just sort of come off nappies but still wears them when he goes to sleep.... when my boyfriend put his nappy on today he noticed a tear between his bum cheeks that is about a cm and a half long between his anus and crack.... we put an ointment on for the redness and to maybe make the sore a bit better.... he is only with us for this weekend so he doesn't live with permanently but I am a bit concerned as to what it could be.... can anyone give me a few helpful answers? I know we should take him to the doctor but need to know how serious it is?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013
IT COULD BE DIAPER RASH OR A FUNGAL RASH - A LOCAL ANITFULGAL RASH CREAM WILL BE HELPFUL. TRY AVOID USING DIAPERS AND ALSO KEEP IT OPEN TO AIR