Tear between L4-5, have unbearable pain. What is the procedure involved in surgery?

I was told a month ago I have a tear between L4 and L5, my doctor said he wants it to heal on its own but I ve had this since 08 and getting worse. I have been on pain killers I m sick of due to not eating and sleeping. Plus they don t even help anymore. He told me surgery would be our last resort but I can t deal with the pain anymore ..I was wonder what would be the process and everything that goes along with this kind of surgery and the percentage of this actually helping me.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012