Tattoo inscribed on arm, red bumps with white heads on it. Using A&D ointment. Infection?

My boyfriend had a tattoo done on his arm five days ago. About three days ago red bumps with white heads that can be popped appeared. First, they appeared around the tattoo, but now they are spreading up his arm and he is getting a few on his other arm. He had used A&D ointment, but discontinued use after the bumps appeared. They are very large, about the size of a dime and he is concerned that it might be a blood infection. What can this be?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013