Tampon left in by mistake, terrible odour, foul discharge, WBC level 9, precautions

I just found a tampon and I don t know how long it had been left in there for. It came out with a terrible odor . If I had to guess it would be about 3 weeks that it had gone unnoticed. I had a foul discharge but it was clear. What symptoms should I go into the doctors for? I went to my PCP just a few days ago to get a workup for my hypothyroid they did a CBC and my WBC was 9 my temp was 37.4. Please help I am so scared.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012