Tampon inserted with cardboard piece, strong foul odor, piece fell out. Will infection occur?

Hello I put a tampon in a few days ago maybe 2 or 3 days ago, but some how I messed up, but I didn t know this at the time that the cardboard piece of the tampon had gone inside me. Over the next couple of days I started to get this oder that was so strong and unpleasant, and so gross I kept wondring why, and what was wrong with me, even people around me could notice the smell. Tonight I went to the bathroom and the cardboard piece came out of me, (after this I just realized what had happend.) Am I going to be ok? What if there is still some left? What can I do? Unfortunately I am traveling and will not be able to go see a doctor for a few days! I would love if you could give me some advice thanks!
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012