Taking penicillin for sore throat and throat ulcers. Not able to eat. No relief. Need further medication?

Hi, have been taking penicillin since last Monday lunchtime for my extremely sore throat which is accompanied by throat ulcers. Cannot eat anything but jelly, yoghurt and scrambled egg its so sore to swallow (I have to brace myself!). When can I expect an improvement, even a little bit as I m running out of patience? I cannot sleep for long periods, just catnapping. This throat has now been with me for a week but there must have been a little improvement as I can almost speak normally. Any thoughts? Thanking you Barbara
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013