Taking novelon tablets for missing periods. Trying to conceive. Safe to take the medication?

My wife is taking novelon tab since last 5 years after a serious illness she was not getting her period and doctor on examination told her there is no problem with her but she will have to take this medicine .we got married this year and planning to have family. Please advise in the matter. She is not taking any other medicine and having no other medical issue. Thanks. Waiting for ur advise..
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Hi, Raj,
Thanks for query,
As doctor insists for continuing Novelon , inspite of you are willing for a child, there must be some problem with your wife.
So insist your doctor for having reason continuing Novelon.
If require you may take another gynaec opinion.
Ok and bye.
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Sekar's  Response
Hello raj001raj,
Novelon is oral contraceptive pill(OCP). OCPs are usually prescribed for birth control but it also given to regularize irregular periods.
In your case your wife has taken OCPs for nearly 5 years. Now for getting pregnant she has to stop taking Novelon and her reproductive status would recover in 2 - 6 months time. Her periods will also become normal.
Hope I cleared your doubt