Taking metformin for diabetes. Can I stop medication if the sugar levels are controlled by diet and exercise?

I was diagnosed diabetes 2 in July,2011, hbaic being 10.6 After taking Metformin 500 mg twice and diet control and exercise , I managed to bring it down to 5.9 in Aug,2012. My doctor advised me to stop medicine and continue with other measures. without med , after 3 months again the hba1c read 5.9, again after 3 months 6.4 My fasting remains around 97-102 and PP 135 to 170 Shall I remain without med ????
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013