Taking melatonin due to difficulty sleeping. What else can I try?

Hi I m a 24 year old female and I ve had this unbelievable problem with falling asleep for the last 4 year and day by day it gets worse. I ve tried over the counter meds and prescription but nothing seems to really help, although I ve been taking melatonin for the last week or so at 3mg up to 4 even 5 tablets to help me fall asleep and it still takes a long time, not saying its hasn t helped a bit with my severe sleep disorder but my problem still continues. I find myself laying in bed with my body completely exhausted and just waiting to get some rest but my mind is very active thinking so much even about trying to sleep most of the times it causes me migraines that it became another reason why I can t fall asleep and my mind is still racing. I have no problems when I m asleep I do wake up easily to the slightest sound or light but can maintain my sleep if I m deep in it and I don t want to wake up, I just can t fall asleep it s like my brain doesn t want to shutdown until utterly drained of any energy or power to think or function, sometimes I stay up 2 to 3 days at a time until I can get 7 or more hours of sleep, it s exhausting I haven t felt a normal peaceful sleep since I was maybe 10 or 13, I honestly tried meditation , relaxing music, hypnosis , exhausting myself with runs or working out my body by cleaning and labour , complete silence, no light, getting myself dissy to a point I can t even open my eyes or be on my feet , reading, writing, meds prescribed or over the counter nothing is giving me that serene healthy sleep. I don t even remember what sleep is, can you help with my problem of falling asleep? via Mo+ (
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013