Taking imipram to relax stomach muscles. Leg pain, become weak. Is it side effect of imipram?

I was given Imipram to relax the muscles in my stomach. By the 3rd week, my legs were hurting so much and i was getting so weak in the legs that I took myself off. After that I got weaker and weaker and now I am in physical therapy because my legs have atrophied and my gait is all screwed up. I see on one of the articles that abnormal gait is a harmful side effect of imipram. Is there anything else I can do as my legs are getting thinner even though I have been off the drug for a year. I take no other drugs.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013
Jun 2015

You are right regarding the fact that Imipram causes gait disturbances due to its central effect. But it is dose dependent & occurs on prolonged intake of the drug.
So, the symptoms as mentioned in your case may not be attributed entirely to the side effects of Imipram.
In your post, you have not mentioned about any history of Hypertension, Diabetes, Hypo/ Hyperthyroidism, etc.
Under such circumstances, you need to undergo certain investigations like estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar values, complete blood count, serum electrolyte assay & electromyography to detect any pathological cause for your symptoms.