Taking deanxit and ativan for mild generalised anxiety disorder. Is the drug harmful?

I was diagnosed with mild Generalised Anxiety Disorder . The doctor prescribed me 2 Deanxit a day, and Ativan (0.5 mg) when needed. He said my symptom was mild and I should be able to wean it off in 5-6 weeks. However, I went online and found out that the drug is not approved in USA, UK, Japan, Australia, and was recently banned in India. Now I became so worried. Is the drug harmful? I now wonder why the doctor didn t prescribed me SSRI like Zoloft which he did many years back for my panic disorder . Isn t Zoloft safer? Please help.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013