Taking birth control to reduce menstrual flow. Brown bleeding, abdominal discomfort, headache

Hello Dr. I m 31 years old, 5 3 200lbs. I m currently on Topiramate 100mg bid, Effexor 225mg, Vitamin B12 oral Supplement due to anemia 500mg, and Apri 28 oral contraceptives. I ve been taking the birth control for over six months to slow down my flow. Prior to starting the birth control my periods were VERY heavy, with lots of clotting sometimes the size of my fist, and they were lasting 7-10 days in length. Since I ve begun taking Apri 28 pack (about seven months ago) it has regulated my period, and slowed down my flow a lot, and now my period only lasts about 4-5 days. My last period seemed off though. It lasted only a few days and I felt like I never really had a period because all I did was spot dark brown blood and clots with a tiny bit of bright colored blood on one day which isn t normal for me.... The reason I m writing you now is because I m into the third week of my active pills and for the past 4-5 days I ve been experiencing dark brown clotted discharge when wiping after voiding. I ve also been experiencing some very mild abdominal discomfort/aching for the past two days, and I also had a headache yesterday. I haven t missed any pills this month, and I haven t had complications with spotting while taking Apri unless I ve missed pills. What could be wrong?
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012