Taking Microgynon ED Fe Birth control pills of expire date may 2013. Does it effective to use after expiry date?

Dear Doctor,
I am currently taking Microgynon ED Fe Birthcontrol pills. The expiration date on them is May 2013. I am not able to get more pills that have the expiration date passed May 2013. The Family Planning clinic here said that these pill will be effective up to 6 months after the expiration date. Is that true? Thank you for your attention to this question.
A concerned patient
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Hi, thanks for the query.

As per the normal recommendations one should not take any drug post expiry date. As nay type of side effects can occur. In my opinion you should not take the expired drugs and should try to get other drugs may be another brand having same active ingredients, which has not crossed their expiry.

Hope this helps. If you have any further query you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: