Taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Knee pain, hard to walk. Due to medication?

I have been taking metformin for type 2 diabetes . I take a 500mg tablet morning and evening. I have been taking this for over a year. Recently I have been having severe pain in my knees, especially behind the knees. It makes it hard to walk and they even hurt when laying in bed. The only time I get any relief is when I am seated with my legs bent. but then standing is VERY painful. Could the metformin be causing this?
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012