Taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Have high blood sugar. Is there an alternative to insulin?

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ten years ago, firstly diet controlled and then, about 4 years ago onto Metformin . I am on the maximum dose, 4 tablets a day. my blood sugar is now too high and I need extra medication. I have tried gliclazide but my kidney function dipped alarmingly. They are now talking about insulin , but I would like to know if there is any alternative? My sugars reading varies between 7 and 11 before meals. Thank you for your time, Lynn Lovatt (I am 69 if that makes a difference?!)
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013