Taking Diovan for hypertension, have diabetes. High blood pressure due to stress. Should I lower Nadolol dose?

I'm a 61 yr. old diabetic who has taken 160mg of Diovan twice daily for hypertension. Recently, my job has been extremely stressful and my blood pressure rose to an average of 165/90 to 199/94. My doctor tried Clonidin, but I got severe stomach cramps. Since I was already on Nadolol for rapid heart beat, I asked if I could try increasing that instead since it agrees with me. I was taking 20mg per day and we tried 40mg per day. Now, my blood pressure is 135/67. It seems nothing really lowers my systolic very much, but this is the lowest diastolic reading I've ever had. My heart rate is also 73 now (down from an avg. 88). Should I lower the Nadolol back to 20mg? Should I worry about the 67 reading?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013