Tailbone injury, lump on leg. Should I be concerned about a blood clot?

I slid off a tailgate of a pickup about a week and a half ago, it hurt and waited a few days for it to turn black and blue or yellow, it never did. Now I was rubbing my leg today and went over that spot which is to the inner side of my knee , and it was sensative to the pressure of rubbing it and it still has a lump about the size of a marble. Should I be concerned of a blood clot? I am leaving on a bus trip the next 2 days and will be sitting for 10 hours on bus. Should I rub the area and hopefully break down the lump or could I send a blood clot through my system by doing this?
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

The swelling most likely is a hematoma, which has not yet completely resolved. The skin color changes may not be so obvious always. I would request you to upload a photograph of the swelling to help us reach a better diagnosis.

Also, it is safe to take a 10-hour bus journey and there is no risk of dislodging the clot. This clot is not in the veins but in the soft tissue. Clot in the vein can get dislodged, and cause problems.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog: