TSH check up advised. Concerned about auto immune diseases. Family history of psoriasis, hypothyroidism and psoriatic arthritis

My doctor has ordered a TSH test for me and in reading up on it I DISCOVERED THAT THIS IS AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE, my children and grandchildren suffer from a variety of autoimmune diseases including severe plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, depression, hypothyroidism and alkalosing spondilitis. I suffer from none that I'm aware of but am wondering why he would order a TSH, any suggestions? Thanx Lynn
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone test is done rule out any thyroid hormone imbalance. If it comes in higher range then individual is most likely suffering from Hypothyroidism. It is basically a screening test for thyroid abnormality. Thyroid abnormal levels can be found in a number of diseases and depression, anxiety, OCD etc are few of them. It may be a part of group of autoimmune disease. Just to rule out any significant thyroid abnormality he has advised the tests.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
TSH test is primarily meant to assess your thyroid functioning. If the TSH is high it means you are hypothyroid and if it is low it means you are hyperthyroid. A few of the thyroid disorders are autoimmune but most of them are not. This test is very routinely prescribed if you have any of the symptoms of thyroid and in no way will tell you whether it is autoimmune or not.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The test is one of the many tests to assess thyroid function.
It is interpreted in association with T4 and with clinical features - for Hypo or Hyper thyroidism
There could be many reasons for thyroid problem / and one of them is auto-immune.

No need to become anxious / it is just one test for function / it has nothing to do with auto-immunity by itself.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck