Symptoms persisting after getting gall bladder removed. Pain, nausea and nose and throat burn. Reason?

i had my gall bladder taken out during the christmas holidays of 2012 and i am having random episodes of the same symtoms i had before. I have a pain in my gall bladder area that will last for 5 or 6 seconds every two or three minutes which can last anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours. also alot of the time i become nausiated really bad and all i throw up is totally green which is bile and it stinks bad. it makes my throat and nose burn really bad. after throwing up- most of the time im not nausiated any more but the pain is still there for a little while. i thought i would be fine after i had my gall bladder out. what is going on?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013

Thank you for the query.

Quite often it happens that peptic ulcers pain is misdiagnosed and after finding gallstones, symptoms are thought to be from gallbladder. That is why some part of gall bladder surgeries does not give any improvement.

Gallstones pain is located in the upper right abdomen and radiates to the back. Nausea and vomiting is present especially after fatty foods or fried foods.
Peptic ulcers pain is more in the upper middle abdomen, and does not radiates to the back. It appears after 1-2 hours of the meal, nausea and vomiting is present.
So if your symptoms are more like peptic ulcers, upper GI endoscopy should be performed.

Other possible reason of your symptoms are stones present in the bile ducts. In such case, symptoms are very similar to gallstones symptoms.
If your symptoms sounds more like gallstones, you should have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), amylase and if stones will be confirmed, ERCP procedure should be a remedy.

Hope this will help.
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Arshad Hussain's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
Dear patient, persistance of symptoms of pain below right side of rib cage, nusea, bloating and biliary vomiting after cholecystectomy is known as post cholecystectomy syndrome, it can occur with 5 to 40 % of patients under going cholecystectomy surgery, many theories have been put forward to explain this syndrome like
Altered antroduodenal motility with duodenogastric reflux
sphincter of Oddi dyfunctio
post surgical adhesions
Remaining stones
Choledococyst formation etc
you can consult your surgeon and he will try to find out if there is any correctable cause for the same and if not then you can receive the medical therapy like,proton pump inhibitora , anti acids, prokinetic medicines etc
wish you recovery soon
good luck
Dr Arshad