Swollen tonsils, redness, painful swallowing, difficult to talk. Suggestions?

So about 3 weeks ago I went for a 4 mile run. During the run I felt great, better than normal. About an hour after I felt like I had a cold coming on. I slept in the living room while watching a movie and my throat and started to hurt, I just felt exhausted. I run at least 3 times a week so I my tiredness was not due to the running. Well, the next morning I noticed I had a sore throat and my tonsils were swollen. I didn t really pay much attention to it because that was all that was really bothered me. A couple days later, I notice I had, what I thought was white pus on my tonsils. I when to my doctor and to get a strep culture done. I normally get strep easily. The strep culture came back negative but I was prescribed antibiotics for a week to take care of the “infection”. At that time I also had allergies so I took Fluticasone nasal spray and an allergy pill, along with my antibiotic. I also have exercise induced asthma so I prescribed an inhaler because I was having difficulty breathing. I took everything that I was prescribed for a week. Things seemed to get better for a couple days; my lungs and allergies seemed to be under control but a couple days after I finished my antibiotic but my tonsils never seemed to decrease in size/swelling they may have gotten larger. Well, it is now about 2-3 weeks since the doctor’s visit and my tonsils are still swollen. Right now they are quit large, red and don’t have puss on them. My throat is red, it hurts to swallow, it is difficult to talk for an extended amount of time, breathing seems ok, and I cough and clear my throat multiple times throughout the day (especially in the morning). Eating is sometimes difficult since my tonsils are swollen. I have done a little research on my symptoms to figure out what could be causing my tonsils to stay swollen but there are so many things have the same symptoms. What do you suggest?
Asked On : Sat, 19 May 2012