Swollen tonsil, difficulty in breathing, snoring during sleep, negative strep test. Taken antibiotics, veramyst. What is the cause?

My son is five. A few weeks ago I noticed his voice sounded scratchy. I looked in his mouth and noticed his left tonsil was extremely swollen and red. His pediatrician gave him an antibiotic and he tested neg for strep . We finished his antibiotic and noticed that his tonsils were even more swollen than before. We went back to the pediatrician and he again tested neg for any strep. She prescribed us with veramyst for allergies and said that sometimes kids just have large tonsils. The veramyst is clearly not working as I am observing both of his tonsils continuing to swell more with each day. The redness is no longer present. He is now snoring and struggling to breath at night when he sleeps. I understand that some people may have large tonsils but I m concerned at the rate of growth. When you look at them, the left tonsil is extended past the halfway point in his throat. If the right tonsil was the same size they would easily be touching. The right tonsil is only slightly smaller.
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012