Swollen tongue with crack in the middle

My tounge is slightly swollen and has a crack in the middle. What could cause this? I am using the nicotine patch to quit smoking .
Asked On : Mon, 20 Jun 2011
Dentist 's  Response
The crack on your tongue could be a normal feature known as Fissured tongue. Be sure you clean your tongue especially the fissure area with your tooth brush gently after brushing. Food lodged in the fissures could lead to irritation of your tongue.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Good Day
You probably have a fissured tongue. It is a normal variation. Because it is larger and has more striations and fissures, it could harbour food particles and can cause infection and malororous breath. You need to use a tongue cleanser and gently clean the tongue upto the back very gently everyday. Nothing to worry. Just maintain good oral hygiene.