Swollen toes, hurts, multiphasic blood test done high uric acid. Treatment?

I am a female 62 years of age and my right foot a few of the toes seem swollen and hurt at times, sometimes more then others.I just had a multiphasic blood test and it showed the uric acid is up. I never had this before. Do they have med's for this and is it something I would have o stay on the rest of my life?
Would appreciate any info you can give me. I will be seeing my family doctor in November for a regular check up.
Thanks so much.

Donna
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013
Rise in uric acid is commonly associated with a condition called as gout (a type of arthritis).This can be controlled but cannot be cured.Analgesics/steroids and drugs which help in excretion of excess of uric acid will help in its management.Consult your doctor/physician for medication since it needs supervision.Hope this helps.