Swollen toe, hard skin, itching, tingling leg. What to do?

It started in one toe & now is in four. They are swollen, the skin is hard, I can t bend them and there are itching episodes to wear I have to sdcratch with something. The itching happens usually once a day. Needless to say- it is very painful.. This has been going on for several months, but lately is really starting to worry me. It s cotton to where none of my toes can bend at all, and tonight realized the bottom of my foot is staying red & looks may-be Infected?.. My leg also falls asleep & has been tingling often with pains as well. I know something is wrong, but have no insurance & don t know what to do.
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us
According to your description , pain over your foot and toes seems to be inflammatory in nature. Tingling and numbness might be due to nerve compression.
I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and toes and rule out any infective cause.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.