Swollen toe after 3 week injury. X ray showed minimal arthritis. Why is toe swollen after 3 week injury?

I am 53 and recently stubbed my toe on a table leg about 3 weeks ago. In the beginning it was blue & swollen it is still swollen and Sunday the top of my foot began to swell. On 3-25-13 I went to a Doctor and he did an Xray and told me that I had minimal Arthritis. I guess my questions is what is causing my toe to stay swollen after a 3 week old injury. It still has a very red and shiney spot and still swollen would my toe cause the swelling of the top of my foot too?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013