Swollen shin after getting hurt. Has split with black dry blood. Serious?

Okay, so my fiancé smacked his shin getting into a tractor trailer to unload tires. When I came home his leg looked like it had his calf in the shin. There is a split with what looks like black dry blood or narcotic tissue but not sure and his leg has been completely swollen. I m a student nurse and I ve had people tell me it s probably and infection below the skin and it needs drained. The only problem is, he doesn t have a dr or health insurance. I hope it s not serious.
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012