Swollen rib cage, painful to breathe or cough. Anything I can do?

My left rib cage is swollen. About 4-5 weeks ago I bent over to open a box and my rib cage felt like it caved in. It hurt when I took a breath, coughed or turned to the left. I went to my dr and I told her that I think I bruised my ribs. She told me that she would order an xray , but there s really nothing that could be done. An xray wouldn t pick up a bruise and if the ribs were cracked, nothing could be done. So, I still have swelling . Is there anything I can do. Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013