Swollen, red vaginal lips after sex, tried icing but no effect, burns while urinating. Solution ?

This morning I had sex with my boyfriend, but nothing unusual. When I got in the shower after, I noticed a bit of soreness but not unusual due to his size. When I got out of the shower and was drying off I noticed that my vaginal lips were very swollen and red and the soreness was due to the pressure the swelling . I tried putting ice on the area and massaging it to get the blood moving, which had no effect. It has been about 5 hours since we had sex and now the swelling has spread up into the triangle where the hair grows and it burns terribly when I try to pee.
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012
Hello there.

Slight amount of swelling in vaginal lips is normal due to trauma after intercourse.

You can try sitz bath (sit in tub of warm water for 15 mins) and take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen.
If your pain and swelling does not reduce after 24 hours then you need to take it seriously.
It will not be just due to recent intercourse.

Also if your swelling is increasing and spreading to the mons (triangular area) then you need to visit a gynecologist to rule out possibility of abscess. This is not directly related to having intercourse but can be coincidental. If you have recently shaved or use any irritant creams causing folliculitis (infection of hair follicle) then it can lead to swelling, redness and pain.
If you get fever, then possibility of infection and abscess further increases.