Swollen penis in kid, taken biotex, rashes in skin. Cure for symptoms?

My son is 4 and he was fine urinating on monday morning before school. By the evening however, he was crying that when he went to the toilet, his penis hurt. He was really screaming and upset. Everytime he went, it hurt. We took him to the doctor and she said it was a bit swollen. It also swells a little when he goes for a wee. She tested the urine sample and it came back clear - I thought it was an infection but she said it was an irritation. She suggested bathing in warm water and Biotex (even though he has sensitive skin - this later brought him out in a rash on his legs!) so we discontinued with that. I found it hard to believe she recommended it. It's now a couple of days and he's still crying when he goes to the toilet and his penis still swells. He is fine in other ways - no fever, or feeling unwell. Any advice greatly appreciated. I hate seeing my little boy upset.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013