Swollen, painful knee, unable to bend or walk. Lumps formed. Reason? How to prevent it?

Hello, A few days ago, my knee started to be painful and it progressed to severe pain within 2 days and was swollen. I did not have an accident. Because of the pain, I couldn t walk normally or bend my knee. Two soft lumps formed above my knee- the lumps did not hurt at all but made the top of my knee bulge out. Now, it s been 6 days since the pain first appeared and the pain is subsiding on its own. There is still some pain, but minor. Can you diagnose my knee issue and advise what I can do to prvent it in the future? Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Well without clinical evaluation it is difficult to diagnose. It could be due to osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and hip and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.