Swollen painful glands in neck and near collar bone, difficult to swallow. Elevated RBC in reports. Causes ?

I have swollen painful glands in my neck and near my collar bone. My neck has been swollen for almost 3 months. so swollen that it sometimes makes swallowing painful and difficult. My dr thinks it is just viral however I can t imagine something viral lasting this long as I am normal healthy. I have had my blood and thyroid checked numerous times, with the result usually everything is fine except twice I came back with elevated red blood cells. Otherwise I am perfectly healthy. This is extremely unusually for me and painful. What other test or diagnosis should I consider? I need to find out what is causing this but don t know what to request.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013