Swollen neck, foul taste, fever. MRI shows cyst near carotid artery. Negative for mono. Any opinion?

My cousin has been admitted into the hospital last night with complaints of pain in his neck which is swollen on the left side and a foul taste and a very high fever of 104. They did an MRI and found a cyst next to his carotid artery and today his fever went down to 100 & us now back up to 101. He had been tested for mono and it was negative I believe they have also ruled out mumps and cat scratch fever. Do you have any opinion as to what this could possibly be so maybe they can test and see. He has already met with a surgeon about the cyst and an ear nose and throat doctor and they haven't had anything to say. Originally they said it was an ear infection and after out continued to get worse on the meds he was given they admitted him he has been sick for about five days so far.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013