Swollen lymph nodes below the chin after getting tonsils removed. On antibiotics. Cancer chances?

I have had swollen lymph nodes right below my chin on both sides. I went to the ent doctor. they put me on an antibiotic for two weeks and they did not change. I have always had enlarged tonsils so we discussed taking them out. he did not feel the lymph nodes were from a cancer type but he did check down my throat to be sure as I was a smoker for 20+ years. I had the tonsils removed 3 weeks ago and the lymph nodes are still swollen and hard...not changing at all and he said they would change by the first of the year.
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012