Swollen lumpy veins in the wrist without injury. Are they blood clots?

Hi. I just had a couple of veins on the inside of my wrist swell up for no apparent reason. I thought Blood Clot! and almost panicked but then I thought what could I do? I decided on an ice pack but at first I thought heat pack. I live far away from civilisation. I live alone so my choices are not subject to input from other (perhaps smarter) persons. I grabbed a kilo bag of frozen peas from the freezer compartment of the fridge and I m still wearing it as I type this with one finger (normally I m a two-finger typist like the best of em). It still looks horrible and lumpy and it s been at least an hour.... What should I do? At least I d just finished washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen so if a clot goes to my heart then they can say well,..he was boring but at least he didn t leave us a mess to clean up. Any suggestions? I have been a xtian so my chances of going to Valhalla are slim.....
Asked On : Fri, 6 Jul 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. since living far away from civilization, so first coming to common causes:
. probably these are the areas where there are valves in the veins and might be normal distension due to dependency.
. clot in vein will not cause a stroke because it will first go to the heart and then get caught in the lungs, [won't reach the brain] moreover clots in leg veins are common and are very rare in arms and hand veins.
2. coming to serious issues
. you can go for an upper and lower extremitiy Doppler ultrasound to check for any blockage.
. if arm is painful, thrombosis is most probable, and if you feel any lump in your armpit, probably lymph nodes are enlarged, it is strongly advisable to check yourself with your primary care doctor who will carry physical examination and baseline investigations to rule out the cause [if any]

. swollen vein(s) due to injury directs diagnosis towards Thrombophlebitis. [inflammation of the vein], any history of the same??
. in the mean time over-the- counter anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin or ibuprofen can be taken to reduce swelling.
. avoid: Sugar,salt,alcohol,fried foods,processed and refined foods,animal protein,cheeses,and ice cream
. if you notice any ulceration,discoloration,itching,redness,pain around the veins make an appointment to see your doctor right away.