Swollen lump in the ankle. Had put a metal plate during surgery. Difficulty in walking due to pain. How did this happen?

I had a metal plate, screws and pins put in my ankle 5 months ago. I healed really well and have not had many issues. Over the last few days I have noticed a large area around the top of the plate has started to swell turn red and there is a hard bump. It is tender and hot to touch. It is very uncomfortable to walk on and just sitting I have extreme pain. Do you know what this may be caused by? Maybe a screw has come loose?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your history there can be infection around surgical site or near implant.
You need to confirm infection by x ray and clinical examination.
There can be screw loosening also.

If IV antibiotic are not working then debridement and resuturing of wound should be done.

Till time take rest, follow limb elevation instructions.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.