Swollen leg after bitten by horsefly. Blisters formed on the mark left behind, swelling spreading to knees and itching

I was bitten by i can only think a horsefly 2 weeks ago on my left calf , my lower leg swelled significantly but as i always react like this to bites from anything i was not concerned. In fact two days later the swelling had diminished and although i still had the bite mark all was well. Although for the last few days i have had significant swelling reoccur and lots of tiny blisters reappear from the bite mark all the way down through my foot and swelling is growing up to my knee , is itching like hell.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Jun 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
**
1. The chemical and proteins that the insect injects under your skin, produces an allergic reaction [release of histamine] resulting in "Swelling"/"itching"
2. anti histamine tablets, elevation of the Leg, ICE, Vinegar,aloe vera gel is ideal for symptomatic treatment.
3. It would be wise to seek medical attention if swelling is growing, along with blisters formation [since it might have become infected.]

PS: wear long sleeves and long trousers in near future during outdoor activities.