Swollen left foot due to fall, MRI shows lateral tibial plateau fracture, advised rest. Can I go walking long distances ?

I fell on my left side down 3 stairs on Sept 3 , my left knee began to swell and I could not put weight on my left foot. I went to the ER and was told the x ray showed no fractures . I was sent home with crutches and painkillers and a soft leg immobilzer.. I had difficulty using crutches so I went to an Orthopedic surgeon so I could get a transport chair. The ortho Dr. ordered an MRI. The MRI showed a lateral tibial plateau fracture . The ortho Dr. requested that I not out weight on my foot for 4 weeks (my appt is Oct 4). We have a trip to France scheduled starting October 10, which will involve much walking. The swelling is gone and there is no pain. I wanted to accelerate recovery since I was told ther is a chance I would not need crutches on my trip. I was told to start using a walker at home with some gradual weight bearing on my L foot. I have been doing this x 2 days and only experience slight throbbing behind my knee at night. I am told that when I see the Dr on 10/4 the x ray will show soft tissue healing which will determine my status. I do not want to hurt myself now and was told to ice at night but if there is pain other than stiffness to stop. Just needed some insight?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012