Swollen knee after injury. Painful even after a week. Is this normal?

I fell going up the stairs (wet stairs at work) and banged my knee right on the corner of the step, and right on the knee cap. I m a heavier lady so it took all my weight and was painful enough to make me feel nauseated. It was swollen right after and I iced it, and I limped around for the next 2-3 days. It is very painful to the touch. Even after over a week, if it touches something it is very painful. The bruising is almost gone, but the pain persists. Advice?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013